IMDbPY is a Python package for retrieving and managing the data of the IMDb movie database about movies, people and companies.
Starting on November 2017, many things were improved and simplified:
- moved the package to Python 3 (compatible with Python 2.7)
- removed dependencies: SQLObject, C compiler, BeautifulSoup
- removed the “mobile” and “httpThin” parsers
- introduced a test suite (please help with it!)
- written in Python 3 (compatible with Python 2.7)
- can retrieve data from both the IMDb’s web server, or a local copy of the database
- simple and complete API
- released under the terms of the GPL 2 license
IMDbPY powers many other software and has been used in various research papers. Curious about that?
Whenever possible, please use the latest version from the repository:
pip install git+https://github.com/alberanid/imdbpy
But if you want, you can also install the latest release from PyPI:
pip install imdbpy
Here’s an example that demonstrates how to use IMDbPY:
from imdb import IMDb # create an instance of the IMDb class ia = IMDb() # get a movie movie = ia.get_movie('0133093') # print the names of the directors of the movie print('Directors:') for director in movie['directors']: print(director['name']) # print the genres of the movie print('Genres:') for genre in movie['genres']: print(genre) # search for a person name people = ia.search_person('Mel Gibson') for person in people: print(person.personID, person['name'])
IMDbPY and its authors are not affiliated with Internet Movie Database Inc.
IMDb is a trademark of Internet Movie Database Inc., and all content and data included on the IMDb’s site is the property of IMDb or its content suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws.
Please read the IMDb’s conditions of use on their website: